Big Gene's Bait Camp

Dilapidated apartment on Clear Lake. One old man and his master, Krispy the Cat. Photos of Galveston Bay from Seabrook Flats at various times, and also Clear Lake.

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Krispy's Return to the Baitcamp

Found Krispy waiting for me on top of my bar-b-que pit Wednesday morning just before noon. He was meowing and I hardly recognized him at first. I had pretty well given him up since he disappeared around the last week of May, and I had given away his food and his dish, etc. He's extremely skinny, but I really couldn't get good pictures to show just how thin he is, but I would bet he's lost 1/3 of his body weight. I fed him a can of tuna and he just wolfed it down. I sort of got him settled down and went to the store to get his regular cat food, litter, a bowl, etc. Also checked in with the Vet to get his flea medicine and talked to her, but she really did not forsee a problem with him returning to good health. He's not weak and listless like I might expect, and he's eating good and all body functions weem to be working well given the condition of the litter box.

He's extremely traumatized and will not let me out of his sight if he can help it. Krispy's not known for having an affectionate side and has always been very independent. All of a sudden now, he's always under foot, he sleeps right next to me, gets up with me to go to the bathroom at night, etc. He doesn't want to play our stupid little games like pouncing on the covers when I scratch underneath and so on. It's going to take a little time for him to regain his composure as well as his physical stamina it looks like.

My best speculation is that he went back to the old place across the street and somehow managed to get himself locked inside one of the apartments over there. Just recently, the salvage crews have been over there opening things up in preparation of tearing the place down, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's not when he got out and came home. There's no evidence that he's been fighting or been living outdoors, so I'll bet he just got trapped somewhere without any food. Those apartments would have still had water in the toilets, so that would explain how he's still alive at all.

Anyway, he's obviously glad to be home, and I'm glad he's back. I do feel sorry for him after seeing how traumatized he is, but hopefully he'll get over that. That's the story for now. More later.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home